Monday, July 25, 2011

My first Flames of War

Howdy and welcome to my briefing room.  I decided that I needed to create a space where I could show off my Flames of War armies and talk gaming of various types.  I started playing Flames of War right around January of 2011 (maybe 2011 December) and have been hooked ever sense.  I am currently planning out my third army, adding elements to my 2 mostly complete armies, and building terrain for play at home.

Not really knowing much about the mechanics of the game I chose for my first army to build a late war US Tank Company.  I think I picked the US mainly because I have done a lot of reading about the period, have a nice collection of war movies, and I think they look cool.  Of course being from the US makes me biased toward them.  Oh boy, have I learned about trained units, poor front armor, and mediocre anti-tank ratings!

I watched a few games played at the local game store Gryphon Games and Comics and talked with some of the players.  I got a bit of advice about some force composition and was off to build, paint, and play a US Tank company.  After an Open Fire box set, a Fortress Europe book, and a 2 Stug's for 3 Sherman's swap I ended up with 6 M4 Sherman 75mm tanks to paint.

When I got to the end of the internet I had come up with a whole bunch of great sites, blogs, and information about the game.  Using two wonderful painting guides I found on BigLee's and Dr. Faust's sites I was off and painting.  I do not consider myself to be a good painter when it comes to color, shading, and techniques.  There's no camouflage here but I think the results were pretty good in the end.




At this point they have been blown up numerous times by all sorts of pioneers, Soviet refrigerators, and German cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment